CHILDREN AGED 0 to 8 YEARS
The Senses Australia team are here to work in partnership with you and your child through our range of Early Childhood Intervention therapy services.
These services are designed to support your child to develop the skills they need to take part in daily activities and achieve the best possible outcomes throughout their life.
Our dedicated team will meet with you to talk about your goals for your child, what you would like them to be able to do and what support you would like. Together, we will then plan how we can support you and your child to achieve these goals and assemble a team to work in partnership with you to support your child’s development.
OUR EARLY CHILDHOOD DISABILITY SERVICES
We can help you and your child in a number of ways including:
- Communication – to enable your child to communicate what they want and to help them to understand others better.
- Mobility and movement – for example walking, using hands for play, etc.
- Eating and drinking safely -We offer a range of feeding programs from individualised meals time strategies up to Specialised Feeding Therapy service.
- Participation – encouraging and enabling your child to participate in community and group activities, such as Hydrotherapy.
- Equipment – enabling you and your child to access and use their equipment safely.
- Using technology.
WHAT DO OUR EARLY CHILDHOOD THERAPY SERVICES LOOK LIKE?
We work in a key worker model within your child’s natural environments.
- We can visit you at your home, daycare, school, out in the community or a place of recreation.
- We can visit you at times that work for you and/or others who support you.
- We can support you to use strategies to help your child’s learning within everyday tasks.
- We run a range of groups, for example, hydrotherapy and playgroup.
- We can work with other professionals involved in your child’s life.
HOW DO I ACCESS DISABILITY SERVICES FOR MY CHILD?
Access to our Early Childhood Disability Services can be through:
- The WA National Disability Insurance Scheme and the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) funding
- Paying a fee for the service
- Medicare rebate for Allied Health Services through referral from your GP
- Better Start funding (Until full roll out of NDIS)
- Helping Children with Autism (Until full roll out of NDIS)
If you are eligible for services from the Department of Communities (formerly known as the Disability Services Commission) and NOT in a NDIS area, then you may receive services from our block funded services. Click here to download the referral form. If you have any queries, please contact us on 1300 111 881.
In addition to extensive knowledge and experience of supporting the development of children with disability, some specific skills we have within our team include:
- Sequential Oral Sensory (SOS) Approach to Feeding – a trans-disciplinary program for children with feeding difficulties, based on the ‘normal’ developmental steps, stages and skills of feeding.
- Early Start Denver Model (ESDM) for early intervention for autism spectrum disorder.
- Bobath – a holistic and multi-disciplinary approach to assessment and treatment, working towards achieving optimal movement patterns with the ultimate goal of maximising a person’s function.
- Baby Bobath – specific strategies for babies under two years of age.
- Hanen – parents learn practical and powerful strategies to communicate and interact with their child during everyday routines and activities.
- Home modifications.
- Prescription of specialised equipment – customised equipment to meet the needs of your child and your family.
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) – this includes high tech such as speech generating devices and low tech such as Key Word Signing and communication books.
MEET YOUR TEAM
Depending on the needs of your child, your dedicated multidisciplinary team will be made up of a range of allied health professionals such as:
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Pathologists
- Social Workers
- Clinical Psychologists
- Deafblind Consultants
- Therapy Assistants
- Other supports as required
WOULD YOU LIKE MORE INFORMATION?